The 1986 world cup host Nation Mexico was the first repeat host in the FIFA World Cup. Argentina was the won the 1986 World cup championship defeated West Germany by the 3-2 score. their second title by Argentina after winning 1978 FIFA World Cup.
The 24 (from 6 confederations) teams taking part in the final competition will be divided into 6 groups of four teams.
1986 FIFA World Cup, Mexico
In this tournament 24 teams (from 6 confederations) qualified and select in 12 (in 11 host cities) Venues in host Nation. Gary Lineker was top scorer of the world cup with 6 goals. Enzo Scifo was selected for best young Player and Enzo Scifo select for Fair Play award. Enzo Scifo was named the player of the tournament.
Qualification Team for FIFA World 1986
- Africa– 2 team (Algeria, Morocco)
- Asia– 2 Teams (Iraq, South Korea)
- Europe– 9Teams (Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, England, France, Hungary, Italy, Northern Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Soviet Union, Spain, West Germany)
- North America, Central America, and the Caribbean– 2 Teams (Canada, Mexico)
- South America– 4 Team (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay )
1986 FIFA World Cup Quick facts
- Gary Lineker, one of only two English players to score three goals in a game at the World Cup.
- Recorded the 39th hat trick in tournament history in 1986.
- Uruguay’s Jose Batista was red carded in 56 seconds against Scotland.
- Champions– Argentina (2nd title)
- Runners-up– Germany FR
- Third place- France
- Fourth place- Belgium
|1986 World Cup Tournament info|
|Total Participating Teams||24 (from 6 confederations)|
|Dates||31 May – 29 June (30 days)|
|Venues||12 (in 11 host cities)|
Qualification and Awards of World Cup
|1986 World Cup Tournament statistics|
|Goals scored||132 (2.54 per match)|
|Adidas Golden Ball||Diego Maradona|
|Adidas Golden Boot|
|Best Young Player||Enzo Scifo (Belgian)|
|Fair Play Award||Brazil|
1986 FIFA world cup Ball
The match ball for 1986 Football World Cup, manufactured by Adidas, was the Tango España.
- Estadio Azteca (114,600)
- Estadio Olímpico Universitario (72,212)
- Estadio Jalisco (66,193)
- Estadio Cuauhtémoc (46,416)
San Nicolás de los Garza
- Estadio Universitario (43,780)
- Estadio La Corregidora (38,576)
- Estadio Neza 86 (34,536)
- Estadio Tecnológico (33,805)
- Estadio Nemesio Díez (32,612)
- Estadio Sergio León Chávez (31,336)
- Estadio Nou Camp (30,531)
- Estadio Tres de Marzo (30,015)